[INDOLOGY] Etymology of vetana 'wages'

Seishi Karashima skarashima at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 15:14:41 UTC 2016

Dear colleagues,

Concerning Skt. *vetana*, one may refer also to R. L. Turner, *A
Comparative Dictionary of the Indo-Aryan Languages*, 12100:

12100 **vētyayati* ʻ makes a price ʼ. [Denom. from **vētyā*- ʻ hire, price
ʼ in (MIA.) *vēcā* -- (v.l. *vētā* -- ) f. ʻ hire, wages ʼ lex. < **vēccā*
-- , cf. *vētana* -- n. ʻ hire, wages ʼ MBh. (*vētanēna krītaḥ* ʻ hired ʼ P
āṇ.com <http://xn--yda201m.com>.), ʻ price ʼ Rājat. (*vikrīṇānō* '
*lpavētanaiḥ*): cf. *vḗti* ʻ procures ʼ RV., √vī (J. C. W.). -- Much less
prob. Bloch LM 411 < *vyayati*, or L. A. Schwarzschild IL 1958, 315
creation of MIA. *vecc* -- ~ *vikk* -- (vikrīyatē) after type *muccaï*,
*paccaï* ~ *mukka* -- , *pakka* -- (though this contrast supports
differentiation of *vecc* -- as ʻ sell ʼ ~ *vikk* -- as ʻ buy ʼ)]

Pk. *veccaï*, *viccēi* ʻ spends ʼ; L. *vēcaṇ* ʻ to sell ʼ, P. *vecṇā*, *be°*,
Ku. *becṇo*, N. *becnu*, A. *besiba*, B. *becā*, Or. *becibā*, (Medinipur)
*bicibā*, Mth. *becab*, *bẽc°*, H. *becnā*, G. *vecvũ*; M. *veċṇẽ* ʻ to
spend ʼ.

Addenda: **vētyayati:* WPah.kṭg. (kc.) *beċṇõ* ʻ to sell ʼ, Garh. *becṇu.*

With best regards,

Seishi Karashima