[INDOLOGY] Etymology of vetana 'wages'

Donald R Davis drdj at austin.utexas.edu
Sat Aug 6 18:26:55 UTC 2016

Dear Colleagues,

M.A. Mehendale, "Some Remarks of the Language of the Original Buddhist Canon," Bulletin of the Deccan College Research Institute, Vol. 17, No. 3 (December 1955) suggests that the etymology of Skt. vetana 'wages' is "vedana 'wealth, possessions' from /vid 'to find, to obtain, to give, etc.' which is known since the Rgveda" (p167).

Would those of you with IE expertise kindly confirm this etymology, point me elsewhere, or share your thoughts on alternative etymologies?  I have not yet been able to check Mayrhofer.

Thanks in advance,

Don Davis
Dept of Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin