[INDOLOGY] ISO 15919

Harry Spier hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 07:07:40 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 2:20 AM, Arlo Griffiths <arlogriffiths at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> . . .Who were the scholars behind the "First edition 2001-10-01"? Was it
> the subject of broad discussion on INDOLOGY, more than fifteen years ago,
> before it was finalized? (If I was already a member of the forum then, I
> have no recollection of such discussion, or perhaps I was not interested at
> the time.)

 I believe a ISO working group was formed in 1997 called  ISO/TC46/SC2/WG12
 (Working Group on transliteration of Indic scripts)  and Dr. Anthony P
Stone (who also created the website you were looking for) was the project
leader.  The working group had their own mailing list separate from the
Indology list.  Dr. John Smith of Cambridge (website
http://bombay.indology.info/ ) was also heavily involved and he could
probably give you much more detailed information.

Harry Spier