[INDOLOGY] Ms colopon from Nepal, need help (Justin Fifield)

C.A. Formigatti caf57 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 4 10:09:46 UTC 2016

Dear Justin,

Maybe it's not interesting for you anymore, but I believe that the only
correct interpretation is the following:

khacara = 9
śara = 5
yaṇa = ayana = 2 (sun has two courses)
Therefore -- 952 NS

The reason is simple. Scribes of Nepalese manuscripts very often do not
distinguish between the nasals na and ṇa, so you can easily disregard
this as a minor error due to the mother tongue of the scribe (it is an
aural error, so to say). On the other hand, it is unlikely for a scribe
well versed in any form of Nepālākṣarā to exchange a ma for a ṇa from
the visual point of view. (I would avoid to use Newari, as it is the
name of the language, but I know this is our choice for the Cambridge
Digital Catalogue and not all colleagues agree with us.) Moreover, the
use of avagraha is sparse in Nepalese manuscripts, and you should read
the passage as though it would be nepālavarṣe 'yanaśarakhacare, i.e.
ayana°.

Finally, I do not think that it is possible to date manuscripts
paleographically down to the decade, without having seen a very large
number of manuscripts and after having been able to identify a
scriptorium (something which takes a lot of time and effort). Many other
features besides the script should be taken into account. From what I
can see in the image of the one folio, all codicological and
paleographical features of the manuscript point toward the 19th century,
therefore you should not doubt about the veracity of the date provided
in the colophon (I mean that you can rule out the possibility that the
scribe wrote the manuscript at a later date, say at the beginning of the
20th century, copying the colophon with the old date from the
antigraph).

I have seen several Nepalese manuscripts written in the second half of
the 19th century, many of which were prepared by the same scribes on
behalf of Daniel Wright precisely to be sent to Cambridge (one example
is this one:
http://sanskrit.lib.cam.ac.uk/the-very-first-leaves-in-the-collections).
Similarly, there are numerous "colonial" manuscripts scattered all
across European collections that were written in the 1870s and following
years in Vārāṇasī, all by the same scribe (or scribes) on behalf of R.
T. H. Griffith again for the purpose of sending them to European
libraries and scholars (for instance, this one:
http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-ADD-00876/1). This examples are meant
to stress again that it is difficult to date a manuscript
paleographically without taking other aspects into account.

I hope this is useful to you!

Best wishes,

Camillo Formigatti