[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit Textbook Formation

Georges PINAULT georges.pinault at wanadoo.fr
Fri Apr 29 07:14:48 UTC 2016

Dear Jarrod,   Thanks for your interest about this topic. I may recommend a paper written by Emilie Aussant (CNRS, Paris), delivered first at the 15th WSC (Delhi), and which is now in print: "The Vyâkaranic descriptive model and the French grammar of Sanskrit", in Jan E.M. Houben & P.-S. Filliozat (eds.), Proceedings of the Linguistics section of the 15th World Sanskrit Conference, D.K. Printworld.  This is a quite accurate survey of the handbooks. I guess that you may have a copy of the manuscript by writting personally to Dr. Emilie Aussant:   emilie.aussant at linguist.univ-paris-diderot.fr

Best regards,    Georges-Jean Pinaut

> Message du 28/04/16 22:44
> De : "Anand Venkatkrishnan"
> A : "Jarrod Whitaker"
> Copie à : indology at list.indology.info
> Objet : Re: [INDOLOGY] Sanskrit Textbook Formation

Dear Jarrod,

One possible source is Stephen G. Alter, William Dwight Whitney and the Science of Language (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2005). There are some notes on Sanskrit pedagogy in the West scattered through Radhavallabh Tripathi, ed., षष्ट्यब्दसंस्कृतम्: Sixty Years of Sanskrit Studies, Vol. 2 (New Delhi: Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan, 2012).

Regards,
Anand

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 8:55 PM, Jarrod Whitaker  wrote:

Colleagues:
> A former student, now in grad. school, is writing a term paper on Sanskrit textbooks and their relationship to the history of Sanskrit in the West and the effect of Classical pedagogy on their design. She's reached out to me for any literature on this subject and I've drawn a blank.
>
> Your suggestions are most welcome.
>
> JW
>
> Jarrod Whitaker, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor,