Re: [INDOLOGY] Yama/niyama in PÄ Å›upata and Yoga

Philipp Maas philipp.a.maas at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 07:52:14 UTC 2016

Vācaspatimiśra I lived later than the eighth century. He can be dated to
around 950 CE (see Diwakar Acharya, *Vācaspatimiśra*’*s Tattvasamīkṣā**,
the Earliest Commentary on Maṇḍanamiśra’s Brahmasiddhi, *Critically Edited
with an Introduction and Critical Notes, Stuttgart: Steiner, 2006 (Nepal
Research Centre Publications 25), p. xxviii
<https://books.google.at/books?id=IlswAAAAYAAJ&dq=V%C4%81caspatimi%C5%9Bra%E2%80%99s+Tattvasam%C4%ABk%E1%B9%A3%C4%81%2C+the+Earliest+Commentary+on+Ma%E1%B9%87%E1%B8%8Danami%C5%9Bra%E2%80%99s+Brahmasiddhi&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=950>
).

The Śvetāśvatara Upaniṣad is by no means one of the earliest Upaniṣads.
Thomas Oberlies dated it to a period between the beginning of the common
era and 200 CE, and, in any case, after the Bhagavadgītā. (Oberlies,
Thomas. “Die Śvetāśvatara Upaniṣad: Einleitung – Edition und Übersetzung
von Adhyāya I.” *Wiener Zeitschrift für die Kunde Südasiens *39 (1995):
61‒102, p. 66‒67. See also Cohen, Signe. *Text and authority in the older
Upaniṣads*. Leiden,
<https://books.google.at/books?id=dUKwCQAAQBAJ&pg=PA293&dq=Text+and+authority&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false>
Boston: Brill, 2008 (Brill’s Indological Library 30
<https://books.google.at/books?id=dUKwCQAAQBAJ&pg=PA293&dq=Text+and+authority&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false>,
p. 213–246.)

Kālidāsa, who can be approximately dated to 400-450 CE according to Ingalls
(see Ingalls,Daniel H. H. “Kālidāsa and the Attitudes of the Golden Age”.
Journal of theAmerican Oriental Society 96.1 (1976): 15–26
<http://www.jstor.org/stable/599886?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents>, p. 15,
n. 1), is clearly later than the Bhagavadgītā and the Śvetāśvatara
Upaniṣad. He is also slightly later than the Pātañjalayogaśāstra, i.e. the
Yoga Sutra together with the so-called Yogabhāṣya which can be dated to the
end of the fifth c. (see Maas, Philipp André. *Samādhipāda. Das erste
Kapitel des Pātañjalayogaśāstra zum ersten Mal kritisch ediert, = The First
Chapter of the Pātañjalayogaśāstra for the First Time Critically Edited.*
Aachen: Shaker, 2006. (Studia Indologica Universitatis Halensis
Geisteskultur Indiens. Texte und Studien 9), p. xix. For a general survey
of scholarship on yoga philosophy and for arguments concerning the unitary
nature of the *Pātañjalayogaśāstra*, you may find also my article “A
Concise Historiographyof Classical Yoga Philosophy”. Periodization and
Historiography of IndianPhilosophy. Eli Franco (ed.). Vienna: Institut für
Südasien-, Tibet- undBuddhismuskunde, 2013. (Publications of the de Nobili
Research Library 37) 53–90
<https://www.academia.edu/3520571/A_Concise_Historiography_of_Classical_Yoga_Philosophy>
relavant.

The question of the religious orientation of Patañjali is difficult to
answer. It appears to me that Patañjali consciously created a work on
spiritual liberation in a Brahmanical religious setting that avoided any
obvious sectarian commitment in order to make his work widely acceptable.
However, the reference to Kapila as the first teacher of yoga in PYŚ 1.25
(to which Eliot Stern referred in his mail to the present discussion) may
actually indicate that Patañjali had a Vaiṣṇava background. An additional
indication for the same may be the fact that Patañjali quoted Viṣṇupurāṇa
6.6.2 in order to support his exposition of Mantrameditation leading to an
awareness of *īśvara* in PYŚ 1.28.

Best,

Philipp

--