Re: [INDOLOGY] Yama/niyama in PÄ Å›upata and Yoga

Aleksandar Uskokov uskokov at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 27 22:32:54 UTC 2016

Sankara in his Brhadaranyakabhasya most directly identifies Isvara with
Narayana, isvaro narayanakhyah. Aside the Bhagavad-Gita (11th, 18th
chapter), where the term refers clearly to Visnu/Krsna. One could probably
find countless other instances where Isvara does not denote Siva, before
and after Kalidasa. Gonda's "Change and Continuity in Indian Religion"
would be a good place to start looking for these.

Aleksandar