[INDOLOGY] From the Mahabharata

Nityanand Misra nmisra at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 10:08:47 UTC 2016

I don't think it does. The desiderative (sannanta) is not the same as
intensive (yaṅanta). Is it possible you have the intensive in mind?

bubhukṣā = bhuj + san + a + ṭāp

san is by dhātoḥ karmaṇaḥ samānakartṛkādicchāyāṃ vā (A 3.1.7)

a is by a pratyayāt (A 3.3.102)

ṭāp is by ajādyataṣṭāp (A 4.1.4)

There is no sense of intense desire or craving in the suffix san as far as
I know (neither in a or ṭāp). In itself, the word bubhukṣā simply means a
desire to eat or hunger, both literally and in common usage as attested to
in the Amarakoṣa (aśanāyā bubhukṣā kṣut) and also in the Dhātupāṭha (kṣudh
bubhukṣāyām).

As far as the interpretation of bubhukṣā in the MBh verses is concerned,
the commentary by Nīlakaṇṭha may be referred to.