[INDOLOGY] Another round in the California textbook story

Nityanand Misra nmisra at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 18:04:49 UTC 2016

On 15 April 2016 at 21:39, Dominik Wujastyk <wujastyk at gmail.com> wrote:

> ----
> *Hindutva Efforts to Rewrite History in California Schools Fail*
> <http://thewire.in/2016/04/15/hindutva-efforts-to-rewrite-history-in-california-schools-fail-29751/>
> // *The Wire*
> <http://thewire.in/2016/04/15/hindutva-efforts-to-rewrite-history-in-california-schools-fail-29751/>
>
> *Right-wing Hindu groups are seeking to gloss over Indian history and deny
> the reality of caste discrimination by deleting the word ‘Dalit’ from the
> history textbooks in California.*

Are the author and the the report reliable? I searched the 477-page summary
table report document of suggested revisions to Draft History-Social
Science Framework (available from
http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/cc/cd/documents/hsssummarypubcomments.doc). The
word does not occur *even once *in the document. Then from where did the
author pull this statement (italics mine):

Right-wing Hindu groups are seeking to gloss over Indian history and deny
the reality of caste discrimination *by deleting the word ‘Dalit’ *from the
history textbooks in California.
Unquote

Can somebody point to a source which corroborates the claim regarding the
word Dalit by the author?