[INDOLOGY] Fwd: New publication

Nityanand Misra nmisra at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 05:54:48 UTC 2016

Needless to say if the books were published in India, they would be much
cheaper.

In India, a 550-page hardcover published today by an average for-profit
Indian publisher with offset printing (more than 500 copies) in metric demy
8vo size (138 mm x 216 mm) with 80 gsm paper and 300 gsm dust jacket along
with thread binding would have a price between Rs. 650 to 700 (including
the standard 50 to 55% distributor margins which are prevalent in India).
For a print run of 2000 copies (which would cover most books published in
India) with the above specifications, INR 1.2 to INR 1.25 per page is about
the fair price for books. For books produced with digital printing (100 or
200 copies), the fair price is 20 to 25% higher. Many publishers in India
print books with two prices (one in INR, and one in USD), with the price in
USD being two to three times the USD equivalent of the price in INR.

This being the average, prices much lower are not difficult to spot in
India too. Some traditional publishers like Chowkhambha publish books that
cost much lower per page: their four-volume Hindi commentary on the
Siddhantakaumudi by Pandita Ishvarachandra with 2600 pages (which I think
are 68 gsm) in 7 inch by 9.25 inch size costs Rs. 1300. With some
publishers like Gita Press and Divya Prakashan (of Yoga guru Swami Ramdev),
the scale is so large is that they can produce books which are unbelievably
low priced and yet good quality. The 16th edition of Swami Ramdev's
Pranayam Rahasya (ISBN 817525484X) had a print run of 200,000 copies.