[INDOLOGY] Misunderstood origins

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 06:00:45 UTC 2016

You're right, Jonathan, I was intending to be a bit provocative.  But I do
also think there's a genuine issue at stake. Things are very much in flux
at present, and this will surely continue for a decade or two at least.
Scholars very much need DOIs as you say, and permanent URLs (PURL
<https://purl.oclc.org/docs/index.html>) or some similar mechanism.  And
although it may seem dangerously ephemeral to refer to a PDF sitting
somewhere on the web, the WayBackMachine at Archive.org offers possibility
of finding things that have otherwise moved or vanished, long after the
fact.  Here's my home page
<https://web.archive.org/web/19991011150849/http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadkw/>
as it was in January 1999, for example.  A nice bit of nostalgia.  And
Academia.edu is being very pro-actively archived at the WayBackMachine.
Sometimes there are four snapshots in a single day.
Musings.
Dominik