[INDOLOGY] Misunderstood origins

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 03:56:59 UTC 2016

This raises an interesting point about the nature of citation.  In the case
of this paper, the preprint or typescript or whatever it is, the author's
recension (like a "director's cut"), is much more easily available than the
printed book version.  It's right there on the internet at unil.ch and also
amongst Bronkhorst's papers at academia.edu
<https://www.academia.edu/19790273/Misunderstood_origins_how_Buddhism_fooled_modern_scholarship_-_and_itself>,
just the click of a mouse away.  So I think there is a good argument for
citing these recensions of the paper rather than the book.  And this is
especially the case if the author's recension is what you've actually been
reading.  One should of course cite this like a web page, with URL and date
of consultation.

The quest for a page number in an inaccessible printed book is based on an
idea that the book is more real, in some sense, more valid or stable than
the author's recension.  But I think that belief can probably be challenged
quite strongly.

Best,
Dominik Wujastyk
​