[INDOLOGY] studies of Sati myth / Shakta Pithas

jeb2104 jeb2104 at columbia.edu
Fri Apr 8 16:50:43 UTC 2016

Dear friends,

I’m need of some help in finding secondary materials in English on the Sati myth (i.e. Daksha's sacrifice and aftermath).

Looking especially for feminist and/or psychoanalytic readings — however problematic — of the goddess’ self-immolation and dismemberment motif that could spark debate in a classroom context. Retellings of the story from more contemporary perspectives could be useful as well. Having trouble so far tracking down any sustained treatment that doesn’t veer almost immediately from the Puranic context into a discussion of ‘suttee,’ which I’m hoping to keep as a somewhat separate issue.

Alternately or additionally, if you know of studies of grouped or individual Shakta Pithas that specifically take up the implications of how practices at particular locations relate to these myths, those would be most welcome too. Know of some work on Kamakhya but beyond that I fear I’m rather at a loss.

With pranams and thanks,
J.

Joel Bordeaux
Visiting Assistant Professor