[INDOLOGY] yoga darśana, yoga sādhana international conference - 19-21 May 2016 - Krakòw, Poland

Elizabeth De Michelis e.demichelis at ymail.com
Wed Sep 23 22:31:56 UTC 2015

  APOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTING

Dear INDOLOGY list members,

On behalf of the Institute for the Study of Religions, Jagiellonian University, and of the Modern Yoga Research website management group, it is my pleasure to circulate information about our forthcoming conference.

The basic details are as follows:

DATE:  19-21 May 2016
CONFERENCE TITLE:
yoga darśana, yoga sādhana​: ​traditions, transmissions, transformations

WHERE:​ ​Jagiellonian University, Krakòw, Poland
WEBSITE and CFP:​   ​www.ydys.confer.uj.edu.pl

Call for papers deadline: 21 December 2015

Further details:

CONFIRMED KEYNOTE SPEAKERS (in alphabetical order)

​= ​Michel Angot (EHESS, Paris)
​= ​Jason Birch (SOAS, London)
​= ​Philipp Maas (University of Vienna)
​= ​James Mallinson (SOAS, London)
​= ​Federico Squarcini (Università Ca’ Foscari, Venice).

OVERVIEW

The conference was conceived in response to the most recent developments in yoga research at various institutional levels. The aim of the event is to showcase and advance contemporary research on yoga. By bringing together an international community of researchers we hope to both initiate and to continue substantial discussion on the subject, taking into account the polysemy of the term yoga and the historical developments of the phenomena it designates.

During this conference, we would like to focus on yoga in both its textual and performative aspects, drawing attention to the dialectical relationship between the two. We are also keen to discuss methodological approaches to the study of yoga. We aim to provide ground for interdisciplinary discussions involving, amongst others, indologists, scholars of religion, philosophers, philologists and linguists, anthropologists, sociologists, and historians. Last but not least, we are hoping to offer the non-academic public and yoga practitioners a nuanced, research-based insight into these complex topics.

With best regards,

Elizabeth De Michelis, PhD,

on behalf of the
Conference Organising Committee http://www.ydys.confer.uj.edu.pl/en_GB/organisers------------------------------------------------​= ​Matylda Ciołkosz, MA (Institute for the Study of Religions, Jagiellonian University)
​= ​Robert Czyżykowski, PhD (Institute for the Study of Religions, Jagiellonian University)
http://www.religioznawstwo.uj.edu.pl/index.php/en/
​= ​Elizabeth De Michelis, PhD (Independent scholar; Senior Manager, Modern Yoga Research)
​= ​Suzanne Newcombe, PhD (Inform, based at the London School of Economics; Manager, Modern Yoga Research)
​= ​Mark Singleton, PhD (SOAS, London; Manager, Modern Yoga Research)
http://modernyogaresearch.org/