[INDOLOGY] Closing of Humanities and Social Science Departments in Japanese Universities [discussion]

Birgit Kellner kellner at asia-europe.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Sep 21 16:36:31 UTC 2015

Dear colleagues,

you may have heard of the Japanese government's plans to close down
humanities and social science departments at national universities. A
decree to this effect was issued earlier this year, and would affect
altogether 86 universities. Many of these universities -- Kyoto and
Tokyo appear to have resisted -- would stop enrolling new students
already in the coming year, and phase out all (!) humanities and social
science programs. Having myself earned a PhD in Japan, I am deeply
shocked by this proposal.

Considering Japan's long-standing traditions in Indology and Buddhist
Studies, this should be of great concern to all in the field. A petition
has been initiated, and can be signed here:

https://www.change.org/p/hakuban-shimomura-shinz%C5%8D-abe-reconsider-the-closure-of-social-sciences-and-humanities-faculties-in-japan?recruiter=386259020&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Below I am attaching a posting to H-ASIA that also contains a link to an
informative article in the THE.

With best regards,

Birgit Kellner