[INDOLOGY] Karmavipākārka

jacob at fabularasa.dk jacob at fabularasa.dk
Tue Sep 15 12:03:00 UTC 2015

Dear list,

I am trying to identify a work mentioned by Harikṛṣṇa in the
Krīḍākauśalya section of his Bṛhajjyotiṣārṇava from 1871 CE. Discussing
his Snakes & Ladders-like Karmapaṭṭa game, he lists the following
sources for it:

dṛṣṭvā karmavipākārkaṃ purāṇaṃ gāruḍaṃ tathā /
śātātapasmṛtiṃ mātsyaṃ śrīmadbhāgavatādikam // 6.20.254

Now, the work I am interested in identifying is the Karmavipākārka.
While there are, of course, numerous works on karmavipāka, the only work
given by NCC carrying the exact title Karmavipākārka (though also simply
known as Karmavipāka) is a work attributed to Śaṅkarabhaṭṭa, son of
Nīlakaṇṭha.

Could anyone with a better overview of karmavipāka texts than myself
tell me if this might be the work referred to by Harikṛṣṇa?

Any suggestions are most welcome, including references to secondary
literature on karmavipāka and karmavipāka texts.

Kind regards,
Jacob

Jacob Schmidt-Madsen
PhD Student (Indology)
Department of Cross-Cultural and Regional Studies
University of Copenhagen
Denmark