[INDOLOGY] training in poetic composition in traditional Sanskrit education?

Paul Gerstmayr paul.gerstmayr at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 1 08:42:34 UTC 2015

In Sanskrit Finals, composition is no longer mandatory. For the BA
students, it is one option among many others for the so-called special
subject (1 paper), chosen area (2 papers), or a potential dissertation
(instead of the special subject paper). The core syllabus remains roughly
the same (6 papers: 2 papers for subsidiary language; Panini, Vedic,
general essay paper on history/literature/arts with additional input from
special subject; and unseen translations).

I took Finals in 2012. Richard Gombrich was/is still active and around, but
my main Sanskrit teachers were Chris Minkowski, Jim Benson, Alexis
Sanderson, Jowita Kramer, and Csaba Dezsö.

With my best wishes,
Paul Gerstmayr

On 1 September 2015 at 06:14, Patrick Olivelle <jpo at uts.cc.utexas.edu>
wrote:

> Actually, composition was a mandatory paper/exam at the finals when I took
> it at Oxford in 1972. I think it was done away with sometime after that.
>
> Patrick
>

> On Aug 31, 2015, at 8:23 PM, Dominik Wujastyk <wujastyk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> When Richard Gombrich taught the Sanskrit BA course at Oxford, Sanskrit
> composition was an option on the syllabus.  In the finals, one could choose
> Sanskrit comp., or instead a longer unseen translation (if I recall
> correctly).
>
> I think Skt. composition formed part of the syllabus under Burrow, before
> Richard, which would take it back to the war.  I expect before that, it was
> also there, Sanskrit being taught on the model of Greats.
>
> I don't know about the present syllabus.
>
> Best,
> Dominik Wujastyk

Paul Gerstmayr
Oriental Studies