[INDOLOGY] training in poetic composition in traditional Sanskrit education?

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 01:23:39 UTC 2015

When Richard Gombrich taught the Sanskrit BA course at Oxford, Sanskrit
composition was an option on the syllabus.  In the finals, one could choose
Sanskrit comp., or instead a longer unseen translation (if I recall
correctly).

I think Skt. composition formed part of the syllabus under Burrow, before
Richard, which would take it back to the war.  I expect before that, it was
also there, Sanskrit being taught on the model of Greats.

I don't know about the present syllabus.

Best,
Dominik Wujastyk