[INDOLOGY] Fwd: Re: copper plate

Richard Salomon rsalomon at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 30 19:01:23 UTC 2015

Here is some authoritative information about the copper plate
(reportedly) from Peshawar, provided by Professor Dr Norbert Nebes of
the University of Jena, forwarded by M. Macdonald of Oxford:

"As far as I am aware  the fragment of the bronze plaque is unknown and
has not been published yet. It comes from the sanctuary  QDMN of Ta'lab
Riyam  which is  situated in Damhan, the ancient name of the present day
al-Huqqa in the northern highlands of Yemen (about 20 km in the north of
Sanaa).  Without any doubt,  it is a votive text probably dedicated by a
female person. The text (Middle Sabaic, from the early centuries AD)
also contains two or three interesting words."

[Prof. Nebes wishes it to be noted that "the information is not intended
for the art market resp. for persons who are involved in this metier (in
any way)."]

So my previous guess about the dating was way off -- please disregard
it. The correct date proposed by Prof. Nebes, i.e. "the early centuries
AD," makes a little more sense, in that this is the period when Peshawar
(ancient Purusapura) was something of a metropolis. But it is still very
surprising that this object from such a remote location should be found
there. Of course it is possible that it was brought to Pakistan in
modern times, but this seems hardly likely. If this really is what it
seems, it might be somehow be a by-product of the widespread
international sea and land trade between India and the west in the
period concerned.

Rich Salomon