[INDOLOGY] Indic Script identification: De Jong Collection Manuscripts

Nathan McGovern nmcgover at fandm.edu
Sun Oct 25 23:48:11 UTC 2015

It was clear to me as soon as I looked at the first two pictures that
they are some sort of Tai script, since many of the aksaras are similar
if not identical to those found in modern standard Thai. I'm not very
familiar with other Tai scripts, however, so I showed the pictures to
Justin McDaniel of Penn, and he said that they are written in the Lanna
script, i.e., the script of the Lanna kingdom of Chiang Mai. There are,
however, some modern features probably borrowed from Lao.

Best,

Nathan McGovern
Dalhousie University