[INDOLOGY] Indic Script identification: De Jong Collection Manuscripts

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 18:44:36 UTC 2015

ha ha, well, according to my friend Petra Kieffer-Pülz, I *am* totally
wrong! She writes:"It looks more like some type of Khom script."

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 3:09 PM, David and Nancy Reigle <dnreigle at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Clemency,
>
> The two images that you have labelled Tibetan Manuscript 1 and Tibetan
> Manuscript 2 are definitely in Tibetan. Possibly if we had a scan of the
> other side of the folio in Tibetan Manuscript 2 we could determine the
> title. After the first phrase, which continues a sentence from the other
> side, it gives a series of homages: homage to the Buddha, homage to the
> dharma, homage to the sangha, etc.
>
> Best regards,
>
> David Reigle
> Colorado, U.S.A.
>
> On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 1:03 AM, Clemency Montelle <
> clemency.montelle at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>
>> Dear Colleagues,
>>
>> I'm preparing a small exhibition on the De Jong collection that is now
>> held by the University of Canterbury in New Zealand (
>> http://library.canterbury.ac.nz/collserv/dejong.shtml) as part of
>> initiatives to make this scholarly asset more visible to the research
>> community (and university officials so they are reminded of its worth and
>> importance!)
>>
>> I found in some of the archival boxes several manuscripts that I would
>> like to put on display, but I'm having trouble identifying the scripts of
>> them.
>>
>> Two images appear to be from a Palm Leaf manuscript in some sort of South
>> Indian script but I can't put my finger on it exactly.
>>
>> The other two images appear to be in Tibetan.  Could someone kindly
>> confirm this for me?
>>
>> (I'm busy getting the librarians to take images of the final folia in
>> case I can make out a colophon...)
>>
>> Any help greatly appreciated!
>>
>> With best wishes,
>> Clemency
>>
>> ---
>>
>> Dr Clemency Montelle
>>
>> http://www.math.canterbury.ac.nz/~c.montelle/
>>
>> School of Mathematics and Statistics
>>
>> University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wananga o Waitaha
>>
>> Private Bag 4800, Christchurch 8140
>>
>> NEW ZEALAND
>>
>> This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
>> not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
>> guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
>> please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
>> and any attachments.
>>
>> Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
>> information.

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
http://www.buddhismandsocialjustice.com/silk_publications.html