[INDOLOGY] Questions about Malayalam

Hock, Hans Henrich hhhock at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 21 00:39:05 UTC 2015

Dear All,

I hope somebody who knows Malayalam is able to answer the following questions.

The following type of sentence is supposed to be completely acceptable: Sanjay vannu Mariam-um vannu

Would the following also be acceptable and, if so, how should one translate it: Sanjay-um vannu Mariam-um vannu

Question 2:

I understand that the following is grammatical in Tamil: āṇ-um alla peṇṇ-um alla ‘it’s not male, it’s not female’ or ‘it is neither male nor female’

What would be the Malayalam counterpart? And would that be grammatically acceptable in Malayalam?

Looking forward to responses and with all best wishes,

Hans Henrich Hock