[INDOLOGY] vizeSa as 'special rule'?

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at pbhome.se
Fri Oct 9 06:55:50 UTC 2015

Yes, of course. These are not instances of viśeṣa as the latter part of
a compound, etc. Here are a few examples, all of which are followed in
the text by quotations from other works:

    atra rātrijanmanīṣṭakālayoge viśeṣa uktas tājikālaṃkāre |

    atra viśeṣa ukto dīpikāyām |

    anyo ’pi viśeṣas tatraiva |

    atha dhanarṇe lagnānayane viśeṣaḥ |

    atrāntakaraṇe viśeṣa uktaḥ paddhatau |

Such instances are very numerous. There is also the following, where
'particular method' might fit better than 'special rule':

    evaṃ sakalagaṇakasārvabhaumaśrīmadrāmadaivajñāptavidyair mādṛśair
    aneke viśeṣāḥ kartuṃ śakyante |

I anyone has matching examples from other contexts, I'd be very
interested to see them.

Martin