[INDOLOGY] rubrication in Indian mss.

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 16:30:08 UTC 2015

even farther.... but it is not without relevance that Friday Richard
Salomon delivered the Gonda Lecture in Amsterdam with the title "HOW THE
BUDDHA LEARNED HIS ABCS: ON TEACHING WRITING IN THE ANCIENT WORLD". Writing
tablets played a large part in his discussion; he has promised a full
publication of his remarks (it looked to me that his actual manuscript was
at least double the length of the lecture he delivered), with ample
illustrations, in the near future. Since he reads this list I assume that
once he recovers from his jet-lag he'll be able to say something himself :)
best, Jonathan

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 5:33 PM, Patrick Olivelle <jpo at uts.cc.utexas.edu>
wrote:

> Yes, we are far from rubrication — but a parallel to Ashok's dust-board is
> the preliminary writing of a plaint in a court of law on what they say is
> "phalaka", or chalk board, where corrections are made and the plaint
> written down permanently on a patra. See Nārada Smṛti mātṛkā, 2:18;
> Bṛhaspati Smṛti 1.2.30.
>
> Patrick
>

> On Nov 29, 2015, at 9:56 AM, Matthew Kapstein <mkapstei at uchicago.edu>
> wrote:
>
> We're now far from rubrication, but in connection with Ashok's comment
> about "dust-boards," it
> may be of interest to note that Tibetans employed a similar technique in
> order to economize on
> paper. White ash would be sprinkled on a slate or blackboard, on which
> students could then
> practice their writing using a dry bamboo pen. But there was a deluxe
> version of this as well,
> in which a lacquered black surface, fastened into an often elaborately
> decorated case, so that the
> ash would not be disturbed after writing, served as the medium for
> transmitting messages among
> the high aristocracy. The recipient, on receiving the message, would
> transcribe it into his journal
> if necessary, but then wipe the slate clean before returning it.
>
> Matthew Kapstein
> Directeur d'études,
> Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes
>
> Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
> The University of Chicago

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
http://www.buddhismandsocialjustice.com/silk_publications.html