Re: [INDOLOGY] Yāska's Nirukta - Digital editions and word lists

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 16:41:18 UTC 2015

Dear Martin,

The edition and translation of the Nirukta (and Nighaṇṭu) by Lakshman Sarup
was originally published in four parts: Introduction; English translation;
Sanskrit text; Indices and Appendices. The Motilal Banarsidass reprints
include only the first three of these, despite their subtitle. The fourth
volume, of Indices and Appendices, is the part that makes this text useful
for reference purposes. Not only does it allow one to find a particular
word in the Nirukta (or Nighaṇṭu), it also serves as a glossary, since it
gives English equivalents throughout. Your query has spurred me on to scan
my copy of this necessary volume and post it with the Sanskrit texts here:
http://prajnaquest.fr/blog/sanskrit-texts-3/sanskrit-hindu-texts/

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.