[INDOLOGY] rubrication in Indian mss.

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Wed Nov 25 08:35:28 UTC 2015

Dear Dominic,

mṛtsnā has also the technical meaning of an "aluminous slate" (MW : "Lit. Bhpr.") like both mṛd (L.), mṛtsā (L.) mṛttikā (Lit. L.) and bhūghnī — could it mean a tablet for writing upon ?

An interesting comment (not directly relevant here) is to be found in Rhys Davids & Stede's Pali-English Dictionary s.v. cuṇṇa (= skrt cūrṇa) as powder : "often combined with mattikā (= skrt mṛttikā; s.v., plur. as "kinds of clay used in cosmetics, like Fuller's earth") clay, in distinction of which c. is for delicate use (tender skin), whereas m. for rougher purposes".

Best wishes,
Christophe

Christophe Vielle
Louvain-la-Neuve