[INDOLOGY] rubrication in Indian mss.

Dipak Bhattacharya dipak.d2004 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 12:14:34 UTC 2015

The oldest Indian manuscripts discovered in India are, perhaps, the ones
from Gilgit. I have some images which do not give indication of
rubrication. But they are available for checking.
The difficulty lies in the paucity of old manuscripts. I may assure that
from 14th century we get Odiya palmleaf mansucripts with engravings of
symbols (e.g. fish) or of deities or humans as artistic presentation. The
main body sometimes has symbols with colophon statements. Some of them were
xeroxed in an OCE (Venlo) machine. Xeroxing then was not as developed as
today; the copies on special paper became fade.
Alice Boner's mss on the Sun Temple are known. My remarks were published in
1882 not with decisive hope. Arlo Griffiths seemed to disagree with me. I
have not changed my view.
A twelfth century Bhagavata ms was displayed in Delhi in 1964. I have not
the description with me at present. Perhaps there were some paintings in
it.
These also should be available for checking.
Best
DB