[INDOLOGY] "Whatever is here is found elsewhere"

McComas Taylor McComas.Taylor at anu.edu.au
Wed Nov 18 00:20:05 UTC 2015

Dear Colleagues

Does anyone know the origin or the Sanskrit original of the claim often made about the Mahabharata, 'Whatever is here is found elsewhere. But whatever is not here is nowhere else' ?

I have not been able to find it in the Ganguli-Roy translation, and without the Sanskrit I cannot search the online versions of the text.

Thanks in advance

McComas

McComas Taylor, Associate Professor
College of Asia and the Pacific
The Australian National University, Tel. + 61 2 6125 3179
Website: https://sites.google.com/site/mccomasanu/

Address: Baldessin Building 4.24, ANU, ACT 0200

Spoken Sanskrit in three minutes?<https://vimeo.com/143211561> Go on. Try it!<https://vimeo.com/143211561>
<https://vimeo.com/143211561>