Re: [INDOLOGY] paribhāṣās in dharmaśāstra?

Lubin, Tim LubinT at wlu.edu
Fri Nov 13 16:44:47 UTC 2015

Dear Jo,

You have probably already considered this, but in the background of the Dharmaśāstra are the ritual sūtras, and there are individual paribhāṣās and chapters of paribhāṣā rules: e.g., the first chapter of Kātyāyana-Śrauta-Sūtra, the Āpastamba-Yajña-Paribhāṣā-Sūtra (translated by Oldenberg in SBE vol. 31 to fill out the second volume of gṛhya-sūtras), the Baudhāyana-Karmānta-Sūtra (= BŚS 24).  There is also a Baudhāyana-Gṛhya-Paribhāṣā-Sūtra (= BGS 5 in the Mysore edition) that is worth considering.  Jan Gonda gives a detailed listing of its contents (Beiträge zur Indienforschung: Ernst Waldschmidt zum 80. Geburstag gewidmet, ed. Herbert Härtel [Berlin: Museum für Indische Kunst, 1977], 169–190.)  I discuss BŚS 24.1 and 4 and BGPS in a JAOS article to come out in 2016, and (esp. the BGPS) in an another article that should be appearing imminently (proofs here: http://tinyurl.com/oa9vvlr)  Much of what is in these Baudhāyana sections are not paribhāṣās in the strict sense of the word: there are general discussions of the rites as a system, definitions and classifications, and other supplementary considerations.
Notice also the first chapter of the Kauśika-Sūtra of the Atharva-Veda.

Best wishes,

Tim

Timothy Lubin
Professor of Religion and Adjunct Professor of Law
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, Virginia 24450

http://home.wlu.edu/~lubint
http://wlu.academia.edu/TimothyLubin