[INDOLOGY] Sāṃkhya & 72

jacob at fabularasa.dk jacob at fabularasa.dk
Mon Nov 9 14:36:36 UTC 2015

Dear list,

I am trying to determine the possible rationale behind expressing
sāṃkhya-based philosophical tenets on 72-square (8x9) jñāna caupaṛa
(snakes and ladders) boards. I have noticed that the Sāṃkhyakārikā as
well as the expositions on sāṃkhya in the Bhagavadgītā (chapter 2) and
the Bhāgavatapurāṇa (3.26) all consist of 72 verses. I have considered
the explanation that 24 tattvas times 3 guṇas equals 72, but I would be
curious to know if you are aware of any other explanations linking
sāṃkhya and its exposition with the number 72.

Regards,
Jacob

Jacob Schmidt-Madsen
PhD Student (Indology)
Department of Cross-Cultural and Regional Studies
University of Copenhagen
Denmark