[INDOLOGY] Fw: [RISA-L LIST] IAST and the Gayatri Mantra

Dipak Bhattacharya dipak.d2004 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 04:57:14 UTC 2015

It will be, at least, unusual to suppose that the Rigvedic form of the
verse is later. The TA is a much later text. Among others the disyllabic
reading of *ya* as *iya* or *ia* was not adopted in writing tho the
parctice of disyllabic reading was never forsaken. But, if we take Panini
as the authority,  this is metrical ie not grammatical.
Sorry for long lecture.
Best wishes
Dipak Bhattacharya