[INDOLOGY] Texts with different topics by one author

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 12:20:17 UTC 2015

I don't have a good list of names to suggest, but I just want to say that
this request suggests that you are at the stage of testing some algorithms
for determining authorship, and this is very very exciting!!
Genre-wise it does not really meet your requirements, but you might think
(I would hope you would think) of Vasubandhu as a future 'test case'.

Jonathan

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Christophe Vielle <
christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be> wrote:

> ?
> Rājaśekhara, but his *ko**śa*'s are lost (9th-10th c.)
> Bhoja (11th c.), but the various works he authored were probably composed
> by others
> They are numerous real polygraphs in more recent times, e.g.
> Vedānta Deśika/Veṅkaṭanātha (13th-14th c.)
> Appaya Dīkṣita (16th c.)
> Melputtūr Nārāyaṇa Bhaṭṭatiri (16th-17th c.)
> Rāmapāṇivāda (18th c.)
> Nāgeśa Bhaṭṭa (18th c.)
>
> Le 5 nov. 2015 à 11:08, <hellwig7 at gmx.de> <hellwig7 at gmx.de> a écrit :
>
> Dear list members,
>
> I am looking for Sanskrit authors who have written about many (>=3)
> different topics or in many (>=3) different genres (e.g., poetry,
> narrative, philosophical, scientific, ...); alternatively for voluminous
> texts by one author that cover such different topics in separate chapters
> (i.e., the thematic strata should be easily separable).
>
> Further requirements:
> 1) Authorship of their works should be consolidated in Indological
> research.
> 2) Texts should not be too short.
> 3) Texts should not be collections of former works or of citations only,
> but "really" be written by these authors.
> 4) The older, the better!
> 5) Texts should be edited or - even better - already digitized.
>
> The first (and actually only) author that came to my mind is Kshemendra.
> Do you have any other ideas? Any feedback is highly appreciated.
>
> Regards, Oliver
>
> --- Oliver Hellwig, University of Düsseldorf

> –––––––––––––––––––
> Christophe Vielle <http://www.uclouvain.be/christophe.vielle>
> Louvain-la-Neuve

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
http://www.buddhismandsocialjustice.com/silk_publications.html