Re: [INDOLOGY] New Book: The Ātman-Brahman in Ancient Buddhism

Birgit Kellner kellner at asia-europe.uni-heidelberg.de
Sat May 16 06:24:34 UTC 2015

A penetrating study of both Buddhist and brahminical theories is Claus
Oetke, "'Ich' und das Ich. Analytische Untersuchungen zur
buddhistisch-brahmanischen Ātmankontroverse". Stuttgart 1988: Franz
Steiner Verlag Wiesbaden GmbH.

(Works treated include Pāli suttas, Milindapañha, Abhidharmakośabhāṣya,
proofs of ātman in Nyāyasūtra, -bhāṣya and -vārttika, in Vaiśeṣikasūtras
and Padārthadharmasaṅgraha, in Kumārila's Ślokavārttika, plus a
philosophical evaluation of proofs, arguments and refutations.)

For Dharmakīrti in particular, see more recently Vincent Eltschinger and
Isabelle Ratié, "Self, no-self, and salvation: Dharmakīrti's critique of
the notions of self and person." Wien 2013: Verlag der Österreichischen
Akademie der Wissenschaften.

With best wishes,

Birgit Kellner

--