[INDOLOGY] STIMW programme

Valerie Roebuck vjroebuck at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 12 18:10:21 UTC 2015

(Forwarded from Dr Suthren Hirst. Replies please to her, at address below, not to me. - Valerie J Roebuck, Manchester, UK)

Dear all,

Booking is now open for this year's STIMW (Sanskrit Tradition in the Modern World) on 28 May 2015 in Manchester (see www.alc.manchester.ac.uk/stimw <http://www.alc.manchester.ac.uk/stimw> ).  Accommodation if required can be booked directly by participants at Luther King House within easy access of the university by bus or a 20 minute walk -http://www.lutherkinghouse.co.uk/ <http://www.lutherkinghouse.co.uk/> - or there are many other places in Manchester if you prefer.

The programme as ever looks exciting and papers are precirculated so there is plenty of time for discussion.  We look forward to seeing you there.  Jackie Hirst

32nd Annual STIMW Seminar

Fri 29 May 2015    10.45 a.m. - 5.00 p.m.

Martin Harris Centre, G16, University of Manchester

Programme

10.45-11.10   Coffee and registration

11.15-12.00   Mike Williams, Vienna
                   ‘What can we know about the life of a text? The Nyāyabhāṣya, its transmission and philosophy’

12.00-12.45   Jacqueline Suthren Hirst, Manchester
                   ‘What’s the use of (sub-)sub-commentaries? thoughts on Sureśvara and Ānandagiri

12.45-1.55             Lunch

2.00-2.45       Jonathan Duquette, Tokyo
                        ‘Tradition, Identity and Scriptures : religious inclusivism in the writings of an early modern Sanskrit intellectual’

2.45-3.30       James Madaio, Manchester
                   ‘Critiquing Halbfass/Contextualising neo-Vedanta’

4.00-4.45        Peter Connolly, Open University
                   ‘The Vedānticisation of the Yoga Sūtra of Patañjali:
                    a modern appraisal'

4.45-5.00       STIMW 2016

Dr Jacqueline Suthren Hirst
Senior Lecturer in South Asian Studies