[INDOLOGY] Manuscripts in India

Manu Francis manufrancis at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 15:40:10 UTC 2015

Dear Colleagues,

I was recently in Chennai and it appears that it is easier to have access
to the MSS of the GOML than to obtain a book published by OUP!

At the GOML, I was able to get 5 MSS within 15 minutes and to photograph
them.

As for OUP, on Anna Salai, this is now a show-room only. You can see the
books. You can touch them. You can smell them. But ... you cannot buy them!
A new regulation has been in force for the last 8 months preventing OUP to
directly sell its books. You now have to go to a bookshop or a distributor.
If the book is not there, they might be able to order it for you to OUP.

Good to know also, the TNSDA (Tamil Nadu State Department of Archaeology)
has started to upload pdfs of its own publications and pictures/scans of
paper and palm-leaf MSS on a dedicated website:
http://210.212.62.26/index.htm

The website is not really user-friendly. The scans are not always good, but
some are excellent. The focus is on Tamil texts for the moment, but MSS in
Sanskrit and other languages might appear in the future.
This is in any case an excellent initiative!

With very best wishes.
--
Emmanuel Francis
Chargé de recherche CNRS, Centre d'étude de l'Inde et de l'Asie du Sud (UMR