[INDOLOGY] Fun media piece about the Mitanni: Sanskrit in Ancient Syria

rajam rajam at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 30 22:41:05 UTC 2015

Just a quick note …

We have references in caṅkam literature about training elephants but not about horses.

puravi (புரவி), kutirai (குதிரை), mā (மா), kalimā (கலிமா) are the terms used in caṅkam literature to refer to an animal that we now understand as a “horse.”

āti (ஆதி), pari (பரி), naṭai (நடை), vicai (விசை), kāl iyal (கால் இயல்) are the descriptors that I find with reference to the movement of a horse.

More references would enlighten me.

Thanks and regards,
rajam