[INDOLOGY] politics of ICHR

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 20:19:38 UTC 2015

<that would imply a primary course of comparative-historical linguistics,
not studied in India at all>

Comparative-historical linguistics of IE or Dravidian or any other?

'Not studied' means .not researched' / 'contributions are not made to'/ 'no
original research done' ?

or

Not taught as a course in the universities?

In either sense the impression is a mistaken one:

Comparative historical linguistics is taught rigorously in huge amounts in
all the linguistics courses in all the Indian Universities. I studied it at
Osmania University, Hyderabad and at the University of Hyderabad. IE part
with Prof. H S Ananthanarayana, Dravidian part with Prof. B. Ramakrishna
Reddy. and at University of Hyderabad I studied the Dravidian side with
Prof. P. Ramanarasimham.

Coming to research and contributions: It is well known that significant
contributions to Dravidian family side of comparative-historical
linguistics were made by many Indian scholars like Prof. Bh Krishnamurti.

Those who in India apprehend that IE historical linguistics is responsible
for AIT theory, may not be from the academics of linguistics. My teachers
always asked us to be cautious about drawing hasty physical anthropological
or archaeological correlations to what they taught us in the historical
linguistics course. Prof. Ramakrishna Reddy even told me that quite often,
such correlations may not exist too. My IE course teacher used to say that
it is not the job of a historical linguist to explain the wide geographical
distribution of languages of a family.

--
Prof.Nagaraj Paturi
Hyderabad-500044