[INDOLOGY] Article about the politics surrounding indology at the IHRC

Philipp Maas philipp.a.maas at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 07:21:04 UTC 2015

Those interested in the topiv of the IE-Homeland may find the Article “The
Indo-European Homeland fromLinguistic and Archaeological Perspectives
<http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/pdf/10.1146/annurev-linguist-030514-124812>“
by David W. Anthony and Don Ringe relevant.

Abstract: “Archaeological evidence and linguistic evidence converge in
support of an origin of Indo-European languages on the Pontic-Caspian
steppes around 4,000 years BCE. The evidence is so strong that arguments in
support of other hypotheses should be reexamined".

With kind regards,

Philipp Maas

> Thanks recognizing it and links for new paper.
> We are open for it
> On Jun 17, 2015 4:14 AM, "Luis Gonzalez-Reimann" <reimann at berkeley.edu>
> wrote:
>
>>  Dear all,
>>
>> As part of this thread, the clear differences between the IVC and the
>> culture of the *Rg Veda* have been briefly mentioned. Veeranarayana
>> Pandurangi brought up another issue, the genetic evidence regarding the
>> entrance of peoples into India during the Rgvedic period. He attached an
>> article (Metspalu et al.) which, he said, "disproves the influx of people
>> into India."
>>
>> In a new article called "Population Genomics of Bronze Age Eurasia
>> (Allentoft et al.)," published in *Nature* only five day ago, the
>> authors conclude that their "analyses support that migrations during the
>> Early Bronze Age is a probable scenario for the spread of Indo-European
>> languages." This goes in the opposite direction of the article by Metspalu
>> et al., and gives strong genetic support to the notion of an influx into
>> the Sub Continent between 3000-1000 BCE.  The authors of the new article
>> used a very large data set for their study.
>>
>> Here is the abstract.
>>
>> The Bronze Age of Eurasia (around 3000–1000 BC) was a period of major
>> cultural changes. However, there is debate about whether these changes
>> resulted from the circulation of ideas or from human migrations,
>> potentially also facilitating the spread of languages and certain
>> phenotypic traits. We investigated this by using new, improved methods to
>> sequence low-coverage genomes from 101 ancient humans from across Eurasia.
>> We show that the Bronze Age was a highly dynamic period involving
>> large-scale population migrations and replacements, responsible for shaping
>> major parts of present-day demographic structure in both Europe and Asia.
>> Our findings are consistent with the hypothesized spread of Indo-European
>> languages during the Early Bronze Age. We also demonstrate that light skin
>> pigmentation in Europeans was already present at high frequency in the
>> Bronze Age, but not lactose tolerance, indicating a more recent onset of
>> positive selection on lactose tolerance than previously thought.
>>   And this is the link to the article:
>>
>> http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v522/n7555/pdf/nature14507.pdf
>>
>> Luis Gonzalez-Reimann

Dr. Philipp A. Maas
Universitätsassistent
Institut für Südasien-, Tibet- und Buddhismuskunde
Universität Wien
Spitalgasse 2-4, Hof 2, Eingang 2.1
A-1090 Wien
Österreich