[INDOLOGY] prof. or mr. or mrs. or ms. etc first name

Shyam Ranganathan shyamr at yorku.ca
Wed Jun 17 14:57:55 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I'm sure there are others who know more about this than I do, but when I
was growing up I was told that in the South, people's sir names are
typically their father's first name. That's how I got my last name, but
as I was born  in North America where I grew up, it sticks (my son for
instance has my father's first name as his last name as its my official
last name).

I'm not sure how common a practice this is, but against this, everyone's
first name seems like a more respectful thing to call them. The
alternative is to refer to someone by way of their father, which is
weird and patriarchal.  I've grown a bit comfortable with it for a
different reason. My students can't seem to pronounce my last name, but
are all happy calling me Prof. Shyam (in Toronto!).

Best,
Shyam Ranganathan