[INDOLOGY] prof. or mr. or mrs. or ms. etc first name

Simon Brodbeck BrodbeckSP at cardiff.ac.uk
Wed Jun 17 14:06:48 UTC 2015

In view of recent posts on this thread, I have been wondering about “Dr Robert”, the eponymous subject of the famous Beatles song (“Ring my friend I said you’d call, Dr Robert / Day or night he’ll be there any time at all, Dr Robert …”). If this were a surname, one would rather expect the genitive patronymic “Roberts”. Indeed, according to the informative webpage http://www.beatlesebooks.com/dr-robert, it appears that candidates for real-life characters upon whom this Dr Robert might be loosely based include a Charles Roberts; but the writer of that page plumps instead for Dr Robert Freymann – without, I should add, any indication that this title-plus-first-name moniker was influenced by the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi or any other acquaintances of subcontinental origin.

Yours, Simon Brodbeck
Cardiff University