Fw: [INDOLOGY] Article about the politics surrounding Indology at the IHRC

Dean Michael Anderson eastwestcultural at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 15 09:05:49 UTC 2015

Dominik Wujastyk said:
>We are using the words "race" and "racist" as if they meant something.
>But this is not the appropriate language to use in a methodologically sound
>contemporary discussion about ethnicity or community.

Thank you for pointing this out. I was going to mention it but was afraid my post was getting too long.
Outmoded ideas of race have created no end of trouble in our discipline, not to mention the world at large. This is perhaps fitting since many of the men responsible for the mistaken concept were our academic forebears. Thus, we should be among the leaders in correcting people's understanding.

Of course, at the same time we should be active in addressing the real issues this imaginary concept has created. Just because the snake turned out to be a rope doesn't mean the broken leg caused in the ensuing panic is illusory.
Best,
Dr. Dean or is it Professor Anderson? I can never predict.