[INDOLOGY] A Concerned Citizen (of ancient India)

Jarrod Whitaker whitakjl at wfu.edu
Fri Jun 12 20:31:20 UTC 2015

Dear Colleagues:
I make here the first (public) appeal for a time-out on issues to do
with Arya-identity, migration/invasion, IVC, and the dovetailed topic of
Indology and its history.  I am not downplaying the importance of these
topics and the role they play (and need to play) in professional
discussions. However, some of the responses are becoming interestingly
acrimonious, ad hominem, and unprofessional.

We are talking about real people, real lives and careers (of those who
lived in the IVC, of those who spoke Indo-Arya languages several
millennia ago, and of dead or alive Indologists or scholars of ancient
India). While this is an appeal to emotion, I am sure we can all agree
that we should exercise some (or complete) restraint when invoking
(inter)personal histories and how these may or may not impact scholarly
conclusions.

In addition, when a scholar makes a simple charitable statement to the
effect that we should read a book in full before drawing any
conclusions, I would hope that posting information about sources that
directly engage in the issues would be enough for listserve members.

Put glibly, no one is going to win an argument in this forum....As we
all know (but sometimes forget) this takes more space than a listserve
and requires time and a process of consensus building via conferences,
papers, books, and a self-reflexive willingness to change one's views in
the face of logical argumentation and critical interpretation of
evidence among a peer community.

With warmest regards
Jarrod

Jarrod Whitaker, Ph.D.