[INDOLOGY] The so-called German Indology

George Hart glhart at berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 12 18:46:14 UTC 2015

My, this has stirred up a hornet’s nest, hasn’t it?  If the book is so bad, why doesn’t someone do an impartial review and refute its major theses?  Obviously, the book will be considered important by many, a successor to Said’s work (see the blurb on Amazon from Hiltebeitel’s review). I don’t find any of the negative replies on Indology so far substantive — they are, rather, general impressions or unflattering stories about the authors which, even if true, do not directly concern their book.  Why is it so bad? I certainly agree it is unconscionable to associate anyone with “Nazi ideology” unless they have publicly defended the Nazis or, like Heidegger, actually joined the Nazi party. This is my last post on the subject. GH