Re: [INDOLOGY] Bāhyārthasiddhi quotations

Birgit Kellner kellner at asia-europe.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Jun 11 15:56:05 UTC 2015

I looked briefly at the Tibetan translation (sde dge) of Śubhagupta's
BASK, but could not find any statement there that might be a (indirect)
source of the quotation. But Serena Saccone, who wrote her dissertation
on the BASK (I believe forthcoming with Motilal), would be the best
person to ask.

In their "Buddhist Philosophy of Language in India" (Columbia Univ.
Press 2010), McCrea and Patil mention that Abhinavagupta records
Dharmottara as the author of a text entitled Bāhyārthasiddhi, but "this
text is not referred to elsewhere, as far as we know, and its existence
seems to have passed unnoticed in contemporary secondary literature" (p.
143, n. 71, available on Google Books). They say references are  found
in ĪPVV vol. 2, 128, 394.

It is also possible that "bāhyārthasiddhi" is a descriptive title
referring to some part of a work, and the passage referring to the
ṛjuvimalā might be construed as "and this was refuted in the ṛjuvimalā
in [the section dealing with] the proof of external objects".

For a further understanding of how Śālikanātha makes use of
Dharmakīrtian notions in his theory of cognition (especially
ākāra/svasaṃvedana, where the concept of prakāśa is pertinent), it may
be helpful to look at Taiken KYUMA's "Śālikanātha's Criticism of
Dharmakīrti's svasaṃvedana theory", JIP 38 (2010) 247-259.

With best regards,

Birgit Kellner

--
-------------

Prof. Dr. Birgit Kellner
Chair in Buddhist Studies
Cluster of Excellence "Asia and Europe in a Global Context - Shifting
Asymmetries in Cultural Flows"
University of Heidelberg
Karl Jaspers Centre
Vossstraße 2, Building 4400