[INDOLOGY] A two-week course: "The Word and the World"

Ashok Aklujkar ashok.aklujkar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 22:26:54 UTC 2015

Sorry for cross posting.

>From 13-25 July, 2015, I will team-teach a course on the place of language in Indian intellectual tradition at Veliyanad, Kerala, India. Analytical or linguistically oriented philosophy will naturally constitute a major part of the course, and, even in that part, Bhartṛ-hari’s Vākyapadīya will occupy the centre-stage as the oldest accessible and extensive work fitting the bill. Interactions of Buddhist and Jain thinkers with Brahmanical  thinkers will also figure to a significant extent.

The course is open to college and university students as well as faculty from various disciplines. Detailed information about it can be had by following the links
http://mu-cif.chinfo.org/summerschool2015.html <http://mu-cif.chinfo.org/summerschool2015.html>
and
 http://mu-cif.chinfo.org/img/course outline.pdf <http://mu-cif.chinfo.org/img/course%20outline.pdf>

I would greatly appreciate your help in giving publicity to the availability of the course, since the deadline for registration (20 June) is not far away. Please use the text at the first website specified above or the texts in the two attachments below for informing the faculty and students in departments such as Sanskrit, Buddhist Studies, Jain Studies, psychology and linguistics. If you do not receive the attachments, please write to me to receive them.

Teaching with me for most of the two weeks will be Prof. Parimal Patil of Harvard University, Prof. David Lawrence of the University of North Dakota, Prof. Shrinivasa Varakhedi of Karnataka Sanskrit University and Prof. Mithilesh Chaturvedi of the University of Delhi. Prof. M.A. Alwar of Karnataka Sanskrit University and Swami Advayananda of Chinmaya International Foundation will also contribute to course content from the point of view of the disciplines of Mīmāṁsā and Vedānta.

The modest fee of the course covers accommodation, food, access to library and Internet facilities, and participation in the Sanskrit and Yoga classes.

Ashok Aklujkar
Professor Emeritus
University of British Columbia