[INDOLOGY] Fw: Tagore, Aurobindo, and Malhotra

Antonio Ferreira-Jardim antonio.jardim at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 02:12:52 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I take issue with Dominik's statements here:

" 'For scholarly purposes' means nothing, under the law."

"Copying is still a breach of rights. What fair use means, legally, is that
if the case came to court, a reasonable judge would be unlikely to convict."

--> Not quite correct. It depends on the jurisdiction.

Scholarly use is one of the four exemptions under s107 of the US Copyright
Act. For more information see here:
http://copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html .

We have similar provisions in Australia in our Copyright Act. For more
information see here:
http://www.alrc.gov.au/publications/4-case-fair-use-australia/what-fair-use

Similarly in the UK: https://www.gov.uk/exceptions-to-copyright

Fair use provisions provisions are codified in Israel, South Korea etc.

The Canadian Supreme Court has recently moved towards this interpretation
with some important recent decisions:
http://www.press.uottawa.ca/sites/default/files/9780776620848_5.pdf

The situation in the European Union is more complicated and not as absolute
as Dominik portrays. For more information, including a discussion of
particular EU cases read here: http://www.ivir.nl/publicaties/download/912

While it's important to leave Indology to the Indologists, perhaps we
should leave pronouncements on the Law to Legal professionals as a bit of
misinformation can go a long way. :)

Kind regards,
Antonio Ferreira-Jardim
Brisbane, Australia