[INDOLOGY] corrected version: Indology and plagiarism: specify stance in order to fortify "brand name" (and conclude lengthy threads)

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 20:20:59 UTC 2015

Indology and plagiarism

Apart from borderline cases there are also cases of undeniable massive
plagiarism.
One case was discussed long ago by Roy Andrew Miller (JAOS 115.2 [1995]:
343-344), and
a new episode in the same case history was discussed eight years later, now
twelve years
ago, by me (AS/EA 57.1 [2003] p 163, author's copy academia.edu/7196478/ p
55).
>From a quick online search I infer that the publication based on massive
plagiarizing is apparently still for sale and present in university
libraries.
Some similarities with the current case under discussion, except, I hope,
quantitatively:
R Diekstra, till 1997 prof of psychology at Univ of Leiden: those who
discovered textual
borrowings which were not or very incompletely acknowledged were
aggressively attacked by a
dherents of their favourite public intellectual Diekstra, his sources were
(page after page)
from sources relatively unknown to his target public (dutch readers on
psychotherapy), he
claimed to be working in haste for a higher aim (helping those needing
psychotherapy).
http://linguafranca.mirror.theinfo.org/9704/fn9704.html

This could be a suitable occasion for the Indology List, the ONLY ONLINE
FORUM IN THE WORLD
since 2001 specializing in academic exchange for bona fide scholars, "east"
and "west", in Indology and classical South Asia studies, to give a
stronger profile
to Indology's "brand name".

Would there be any harm if the current dvārapālas of the Indology List
specify
"Indology"'s position on plagiarism in the Guidelines, for instance that
the
hypothetic case of plagiarizing (at least if it is massive?) leads to
cancellation
of full membership (should have been self-evident but perhaps it is not),
and that
emphatic encouragement and condoning of plagiarism leads to first a warning
next to
suspension of full membership? Pro-plagiarists and those in favour of
plagiarism
leniency may feel irritated through such explicit stance but 95% others
would either
welcome it or consider it self-evident.

This move could liberate bandwidth of the List for more useful and
interesting topics and
issues.

Jan Houben

*Jan E.M. HOUBEN*

Directeur d’Études

Sources et histoire de la tradition sanskrite

*École Pratique des Hautes Études*

*Sciences historiques et philologiques *

54, rue Saint-Jacques

CS 20525 – 75005 Paris

johannes.houben at ephe.sorbonne.fr

https://ephe-sorbonne.academia.edu/JanEMHouben