[INDOLOGY] Does anyone know of Sanskrit works that use 2nd-syllable rhyming?

Andrew Ollett andrew.ollett at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 05:14:26 UTC 2015

Second-syllable rhyme is also a sine qua non in Kannada poetry, and
Jayakīrti uses it in his definitions/examples (all in Sanskrit) of
different verse-forms in the Chandonuśāsana (ca. 1000 CE)---not just in the
seventh chapter, where J. exemplifies some Kannada meters, but also
occasionally in the sixth, which treats of Prakrit and Apabhraṃśa meters.

According to Yigal Bronner and David Shulman ("A Cloud Turned Goose" in
IESHR 43 in 2006), it's also used in later Sanskrit works by Tamil authors
(Śākalya Malla's *Udārarāghava* and Nīlakaṇṭha Dīkṣita's *Śivalīlārṇava*).

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Dominic Goodall <dominic.goodall at gmail.com