[INDOLOGY] Malhotra and plagiarism

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 13:52:40 UTC 2015

​"​
​
​Do we need to talk to them?​," you ask. I don't think so, either.  Not
because there isn't an issue here.   But because we're unqualified.
Speaking for myself, I'm not a sociologist, or even a history of religions
person.  I haven't read all the subaltern stuff, nor all the Orientalism
debates.  I've mostly spent my time trying to understand old Sanskrit texts
on vyakarana, ayurveda, and yoga.  That is not a good preparation for
debating with Malhotra, who is not really interested in Sanskrit, as far as
I can tell.

I do think some scholars need to take him on, although I think his
arguments are feeble to the point of not being serious.  But it's a job for
someone who does Orientalism etc. professionally.

Best,
Dominik