[INDOLOGY] Query: Date of the Bhagavatam

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan Palaniappa at aol.com
Wed Jul 22 02:03:54 UTC 2015

In my opinion, Edwin Bryant’s paper has a fundamental flaw.

Edwin argues for an upper limit of 8th century for BhP based on the sequence of panels in the Vaikuṇṭapperumāḷ temple in Kāñcipuram based on an earlier study of the temple by Dennis Hudson. When the same fact is found in a sculpture and a literary text, there is no justification to assume that the literary text preceded the sculpture as Edwin has done. It could be the other way around. Why couldn’t the author of the literary text be inspired by the sculpture? Or both being inspired by local traditions?

A clear example is discussed by Vasudha Narayanan in her recent paper, “Who is the strong-armed monkey who churns the ocean of milk?” published in UDAYA: Journal of Khmer Studies, Volume 11 (2013), pp. 3-28. In this paper, we see that the motif of Vāli churning the ocean of milk first appears in a panel in Pattadakal before it is mentioned in any literary text.

As a result, I find that the upper limit of 8th century for BhP is not justified. This means that Edwin’s objections to Hardy’s views on BhP’s date are not justified either.

By the way, Dennis Hudson also says that the story of Ṛṣabha and Bharata entered BhP from Ādipurāṇa most likely in the ninth century.

Regards,
Palaniappan